Thursday, October 22, 2009

Farnese - Montepulciano D'abruzzo

Price: $9.99
Region: Italy
Year: 2008

Another interesting weekend. We honestly do not attend too many wine tastings, but we had another one scheduled this week for a friend's charity. Anyway, I tried a few good wines, a couple of which I bought to try for future reviews. I didn't however have anything with which to take notes, so I just enjoyed the evening with friends, and wine. That was on Saturday evening, so I did have a new wine to try for Sunday dinner. I actually bought this on my way home from work on Friday, but wasn't feeling 100%, so just decided to save it until Sunday. I bought this Italian wine thinking I was actually going to have it Friday with some of our favorite pizza, but it just didn't work out that way. Instead, I ended up having this wine along with chili that I made in the crock pot. I probably would have usually used this opportunity to try a new Zinfandel, but maybe next time.

To tell you the truth, I really don't know much about this wine based on the label, and am guessing it is may be a Sangiovese, but not 100% sure. I guess I could look it up, but we'll just go with the fact that it was an Italian wine. I sat down to dinner, and poured myself a glass. It started off good enough, with a nice dark color red. I would say it had a nice crisp color, with good clarity. I gave the glass a couple of swirls, and took a quick sniff. Nothing really special to write home about, and smelled a bit tart for my liking. It wasn't anything that made me turn up my nose, but my hopes weren't as high at this point. So, I took my first sip, and my first impression wasn't so great. The acidity, or tannins were very strong in my opinion, and the taste went away quickly. Definitely no length. It didn't have a bad aftertaste, but the initial flavor was just not something that intrigued me that much. I had a couple of glasses, and soon lost interest. I decided to save some for a night during the week, and my follow-up experience was no better then the first.

One good thing about the weekend though (I think) is that we ended buying a wine tasting of our own (actually we split it with a couple we are friends with) to benefit the charity. So, in the next couple of months, we'll schedule a wine tasting for about 10 couples, and this time I'll bring some paper to jot down some notes. I already have a couple of wines from the wine tasting party, so no need to stop on my way home from work tomorrow. Hopefully there is a winner amoung the bunch.

Rating: 2.75 (Seek out last week's selection)

No comments: