Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cruz Alta - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $13
Region: Argentina
Year: 2009

The far majority of the wine reviews I have written over the past 2+ years have been ones I've opened over the weekend, jotted down some notes in my wine journal, and reviewed the following week. Every once in a while, I get to sit down with a glass of wine I just poured, and write about it on the fly. That just happens to be what I decided to do tonight. I usually only have wine (or sometimes beer) on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Tonight as I was driving home however, it was just one of those days that seemed like a good day to break from the norm. So, I opened a bottle of wine that my wife bought for me last weekend that I didn't get around to opening.

I was a bit late getting home from work today, so I had a little dinner by myself. I was enjoying a nice plate of pasta bake when I poured myself a glass of this Cabernet from Argentina. I'll tell you, wines don't get too much darker red than this one. It really is almost black it is so dark. When I went to give this wine a swirl, and take a sniff, I got a nose full of a really nice aroma. I've never been really great at having a particular smell stand out when I smell a wine, but I do get just a hint of coffee in this one. I really do not like the taste of coffee, but I sometimes enjoy the smell. So far I was fairly impressed. Then, when I took a sip, I realized this was one of those fairly inexpensive wines that really gets it right. It had a very nice upfront ripe fruit taste, with really good length and a smooth finish. I took another quick sip to make sure it was as good as I thought the first time around, and I was not disappointed. It has really been a while since I found a wine that cracked my top 5, but I think I just found one.

Rating: 4.5 corks (Grab a bottle and try for yourself)

No comments: