Thursday, November 19, 2009

Domaine Tresor - Pinot Noir

Price: $11.99
Region: France
Year: 2004

It seems the percentage of European wines that I fail to find a picture for, is much higher then from other areas, but maybe that isn't a surprise. Anyway, I was heading home on Friday, and made the usual stop at the wine store that is right on the way. Again, not my favorite, but by far the most convenient, and on Friday evening, that is important. A slight departure from the normal dinner, and the usual wine. I stop and picked up subs from a local store that uses real turkey breast instead of cold cuts. Therefore, since everyone always says Pinot Noir goes great with turkey, it seemed like as good a time as any to pick up a bottle. Not a wine I have had a lot of luck with at lower prices, but I'll keep trying.

I always have my prejudices when it comes to this wine, which is probably not a good thing when trying to do a review, but they are sometimes hard to put aside. As I poured myself a glass, and took a look, the color was very interesting. It was a bit clear, which I expected, but it had a nice light ruby color that I found appealing. Nothing like the deep dark reds that are by far my favorite, but a nice change of pace. When I took a smell, I was also pleasantly surprised. Again, trying to put aside my expectations, it had a nice fruit smell, with very little of the earthy undertones I tend to find in the Pinot Noirs I have tried. At this point, I wasn't quite sure what I had, so there was no time like the present to give it a try. Here is where I struggle a bit. I really didn't love the taste, but that isn't saying it was bad for a Pinot. It wasn't something I turned my nose up at, which is the case sometimes with this variety, but it just wasn't my cup of tea (or glass of wine to be more precise). Overall, it was decent, but for $12, I just don't think I'll go back. Hopefully one of these days I find a Pinot Noir that fits pleases my palate, without costing an arm and a leg.

Rating: 2.75 (Probably deserves a little higher)

No comments: