Thursday, April 21, 2011

Montes Alpha - Cebernet Auvignon

Price: $20
Region: Chile
Year: 2007

I debated which wine review to write tonight because I really had a very good wine last weekend that I wanted to get to, but since I missed my review last week, I decided to get to one that I had two weekends ago. I tend to skip wines whenever I miss a week, and I didn't want to end up forgetting about this one. I'm going to try and make some time this weekend to write about the one from this past weekend. Anyway, as has been the case for a whole lot of weekends in a row, my wife had a couple of bottle of wine on the counter when I got home from work on Friday. She's kind of been on a South American kick lately, and this weekend was no different.This Cabernet from Chile was a bit more than I would look to spend on a wine for a normal weekend, but the one thing I like about my wife picking the wines out each week is that the tend to be further away from $10, then they do closer. I've found however, that doesn't always necessarily mean a better wine.

Not that I worry too much about pairing wine on Friday night, since we mostly get take-out, but this one went along nicely with the hamburgers from Five-Guys. As seems to be the case with the South American wines I have had lately, this wine was super dark. It had very little red tint to it, and poured into the glass with a dark purple demeanor. I started to get familiar with the heavy fruit (like black cherry) smell of a Cabernet, this one seem to hit me with a more earthy and floral aroma. It was really quite nice. I really did not have much to complain about at this point, and was also very happy when I took a sip. It had a nice bold upfront taste, and was very consistent right up to the end. It had good length and fairly chewy tannins. overall I was quite pleased, but I kept going back to the price. At $10 - $12, this wine would be a home run for sure, but at $20, I just think there are better buys out there.

Rating: 3.25 corks (Can find one just as good for a better price)

No comments: