Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fabre Montmayou - Malbec


Price: $20
Region: Argentina
Year: 2009

Nothing too out of the ordinary this week. When I got home from work on Friday it was a choice between this bottle of Malbec from Argentina, and another red from Chile. I think both were right around $20, but I didn't ask, so I'm not 100% sure. I'm fairly certain they weren't any more expensive though. I had stopped and grabbed a few pizzas for dinner, so I sat down with my glass of wine and slice of pizza ready to enjoy a nice relaxing Friday evening.

When I poured a glass, I immediately noticed the deep, dark red color. Definitely the kind of wine I like pour into my glass. I enjoyed the sight for a few seconds, and gave the glass a nice swirl. The aroma that followed was really very nice. It was kind of smell that made you take notice, but was not overpowering. I went back for a little more before taking a sip. When I did finally take a sip, I tasted a wine that was very smooth, with really good balance. It was a touch spicy, but more towards the taste of a Cab then a Shiraz. I think the aroma had me hoping for a bit more, but not too much to complain about with this wine. You can find similarly good wines for a little less, but I don't think it will leave you disappointed.

Rating: 3.5 corks (Wonderful aroma)

No comments: