Monday, August 18, 2008

Pacific Peak - Merlot

Price: $2.97
Region: California
Year: unknown


I went away with the family this weekend to the beach. Normally that would mean a glass of wine out at a restaurant, but not this time. The reason is because we happened to stay in a NJ beach town that is considered a dry county. Kind of strange, I must admit, but it was a fun family weekend nonetheless. Anyway, I did get back in time for dinner at my wife's parents house, which included a wine I had not tried yet. It is not from a lack of noticing the wine that I hadn't tried it, but the simple fact that it only costs $2.97, caused me to steer clear. However, since a bottle was opened, I gave it a try.

A Merlot is definitely something I usually have with a light appetizer, which was the case here. Nothing really stood out from the moment I took a look, to the first taste. In my opinion, everything was right on par with a bottle of wine that cost three dollars. The color was a little weak, the smell was dull, and the overall taste was bland. Simply nothing stood out in my mind about this wine. If I drank wine every day of the week, I guess its low price would be a factor to consider, but I enjoy the overall experience of a glass of wine too much to settle for this selection.

Rating: 2 Corks (You get what you pay for with this wine)

No comments: