Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wolf Blass - Yellow Label Shiraz

Price: $9.99
Region: Australia
Year: 2005

I was actually contemplating skipping the review this week because I wasn't sure I was going to have a chance to enjoy a bottle of wine due to other commitments, but as things worked out, Saturday turned into a good night for some wine. We also had a lot of rain, and it just had the feeling of one of those night you could sit in, watch a movie, and enjoy some wine. I headed over to a store closer to my house, but with a smaller selection. I've talked about my default wines before, and I promise to get that list up on the website soon, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt that my default variety, when I am having trouble deciding what to have, is Shiraz.

I have read a lot of good things about Wolf Blass Shiraz, and at $10, it seemed a bargain if all of what I read was true. The color and smell were what I expected. Very dark, almost purple color, and a nice aroma with a hint of spiciness. I took my first sip, and I was not disappointed. The intial taste was very smooth, not too fruity, with an excellent finish. It definitely had slightly spicy flavor you would expect from a Shiraz, but not bitter, and definitely not overpwering. This wine went especially well with the chicken, artichoke pizza that we ordeered. So all in all, I would say a very good bottle of wine, for a rainy Saturday night!

Rating: 3.5 corks (Won't be disappointed)

No comments: