Thursday, September 4, 2008

Coastline - Cabernet Savignon

Price: $8.99
Region: Paso Robles - California
Year: 2006

A little late again on my review, but this past Monday being Labor Day, my schedule was just a little off. Anyway, the Saturday and Sunday part of this weekend was fairly normal. I bought a couple of different wines, but the one I decided to review was a Cabernet Savignon that I had never tried before. To be honest, I had never even noticed it before, there was a section of Cabernet wines in the store that were listed in the buying guide for the store, so it seemed like a safe enough bet.

I opened up this bottle of wine to have with a good block of sharp cheddar cheese as an appetizer. There are few things I like better then a quality cheese and a good glass of red wine, so I was hoping I found a gem, even though at this price it is a rare find. As would be expected for a Cabernet Savignon, the color of the wine was very dark red, but the smell was a little light. It definitely had a nice smell, but it just wasn't very strong. The first sip started out well enough, with a good first impression, but then the the taste seemed to become muted. The taste just didn't linger much at all, so in general, it had no length. One of the best parts of drinking a wine to me is when the taste hangs around for a few seconds, and this wine just died off too quickly. I wouldn't say it isn't totally without merit, as the initial taste is good, but I was just hoping it would hang around a bit longer. For the price, it is definitely worth giving a try, but it doesn't rise to the top of the list.

Rating: 2.75 corks (A middle of the pack wine)

No comments: