Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hayman Hill - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $12.99
Region: California
Year: 2005

It is definitely starting to feel more like fall these days. This past weekend was no exception. I was waling through the store this past Friday, trying to find something that would match up well with a good beef stew (I was hoping this would be dinner on Sunday night). Therefore, I picked out a Cabernet. Now I usually steer away from the signs that tout a wine, but this one just caught my eye it had a sign in front of it that said, best Cab under $20. Since it was also under my self-imposed ceiling of $15, I decided to give it a try.

When Sunday rolled around, my anticipation fro beef stew was a little misplaced. I wasn't too far off though, as we did have beef chili, which is a great cold weather dinner as well. So, right before dinner, while having some crackers and port wine cheese spread, I poured myself a glass. This wine was definitely full-bodied, based on the deep dark color. It was nearly purple. After a quick swirl, I took a sniff, and the smell was very pleasant. So far, I was on board that this would be a wine worth paying a couple of extra dollars for. When I took my first sip, I noticed right away that the flavor had great balance. It was very consistent from start to finish. In addition, it really had great length, and the taste just hung around for a couple of seconds. It was a very smooth wine, and went well with both my appetizer, and my bowl of chili. I would say overall I was very content with this wine, but I would say it was something I would rave about as the best Cabernet I've tasted under $20. Actually, I think it is on par with the Pepperwood Grove I reviewed previously, but twice the price, does not give you twice as good a wine. Worth giving a try though for sure.

Rating: 3.5 Corks (A very nice wine)

No comments: