Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mirassou - Pinot Noir

Price: $8.99
Region: California
Year: 2007

Well, looks like I missed my first week of having a review, but it was actually due to not having a bottle of wine the weekend before last. Lots going on, and just didn't get a chance to sit down and relax. for reasons of my own sanity, I am going to try to not make a habit of that. Anyway, while I was thinking about what to try this past weekend, I was kind of at a loss. I wanted to do something at least a little different, but was sure what. Then, for some reason I was thinking about the fact it was starting to turn cold out, the leaves were changing, and I happened to remember an article I read a year or two back about this time that indicated it was perfect weather for a Pinot Noir.

Now, i will be the first to admit this is where my inexperience is going to shine through. I just have never really gotten the Pinot Noir thing. I obviously love a deep, bold red wine, and these rarely, if ever fit that category for me. That being said, I have found one or two over the years that I kind of enjoyed. Anyway, what I usually look for, I just throw out the windows and try to focus on how much I enjoy the wine itself. As with all Pinot that I can remember having, the color was opaque. Just nothing there for me to get excited about, but I think that is one of the reason I never really warmed up to this wine. The smell on this one was pleasing, and almost floral. I took a sip, and wasn't immediately swayed one way or the other, but in my opinion, it had kind of an earthy taste. Again, not my favorite flavor when looking for a wine to have, but overall it wasn't horrible. So, I had a couple of glasses one night, and chalked it up to trying something I know I'm just not very good providing deep insight into. I did leave about 1/2 the bottle, and after storing it in my wine refrigerator overnight, I must say I enjoyed it the 2nd night a little bit more then the first. Couldn't tell you why that might be, but I guess as far as inexpensive Pinot Noir's go, it was acceptable.

Rating: 2.5 Corks (Middle of the road)

No comments: