Friday, January 30, 2009

Anakena - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $9.99
Region: Chile
Year: 2006

I tried to post last week's selection a little earlier in the week, but I guess time just got away from me. So, I know it is almost time for this weekend's selection, but here goes anyway. One thing it has been around here lately in the Northeast, and that is cold. So, last Sunday seemed the perfect day to have a nice pot of beef stew for dinner. Seemed like my wife was up for it too, so that was the plan. Now, when it comes to matching up a good wine with dinner, I usually don't try to stick too much by the book, but there is just something about beef stew and Cabernet Sauvignon in my opinion. So, off to the store I went. I will admit, it took me a while to find something I wanted to try. What it came down to was i decided to try a completely different region then my standard California Cabernet. The bottle from Chile, just happened to jump out after a little browsing.

So, when it came time for dinner, I was excited to pour myself a glass. When I first saw the wine in my glass, my first word was wow. When I say deep, dark in color, I am not kidding this time. This wine was almost black it was so dark, but definitely in a good way. The color made me look forward to the meal that much more. Interesting enough, on the label it mentioned some of the tastes, and smells. Now, if you happen to have read my initial entry when I laid our the reasns I was going to write this blog each week, you'll know I am not very good at distinguishing what others say I should smell or taste. This was no different as I did not smell tabacco or licorice, but it was very pleasant nonetheless. So, after the first two observations went so well, I was hoping not to be disappointed as has happened a couple fo times recently. Luckily, that was not the case here. This wine had a wonderful fruit forward taste, and was very smooth, with good length. It definitely enhanced a great dinner on a cold winter night. I will definitely take a longer look at wines from Chile based on the experience here.

Rating: 3.75 Corks (Pretty darn good)

No comments: