Saturday, January 10, 2009

Silverwing - Barossa Shiraz

Price: $10.99
Region: Australia
Year: 2005

Some habits are just hard to break. For some reason, in the beginning of January, I decided to go pick up a few bottles of wine instead of having to go out to the store every weekend. I walked around for a while just to see what would catch my attention, and after a while, I found myself in the Shiraz aisle. Sometimes it is just hard for me to pass by an Australian Shiraz that has a sign on it about being highly rated. As is almost always the case with Australian wine, it is always reasonable. So, this was no exception. Plus, I thought the silver dragon fly on the bottle was pretty cool.

Anyway, the wine has been down stairs for a couple of weeks, and I decided to give it a try last night. Nothing special for dinner, just take out from our favorite Italian eatery. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, and maybe it is because I tend to stick to bold red wines, but this wine had a nice deep ruby color. It also had a very nice aroma, with just a little spiciness to it, but definitely not overpowering. It was really just the right balance for me. I assume as with most things, that is a personal preference, but I'm not thrilled with wines that have an overly strong smell. So, After whirling it around a bit, I gave it a taste, and I was not disappointed. Again, you probably know I tend to favor a Shiraz, but when they're not good, I'll be the first to say I didn't like it. That was not the case here. This wine was smooth, with great length as the taste didn't disappear right away. Also, that hint of spicy smell, was the same with the taste. Just enough to be bold, but not overpowering. I was thinking the other day that I might not see a wine climb into my top five for a while, but I was wrong, as this was one I will definitely try again!

Rating: 3.75 Corks (Could become a regular)

No comments: