Thursday, May 28, 2009

Snapdrag - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $9.99
Region: Sonoma, California
Year: 2007

Sometimes it isn't just about finding a different wine, sometimes I like to try a store I rarely visit just to see if they have something different on the shelves. In the case of last Friday, we were actually not ordering take-out, but I still had to make a quick run to the store to grab a bottle of wine. A Friday just isn't complete.... Anyway, I decided to try a small little shop that is close by, but just don't happen to frequent very often. It just so happens that on Friday evening, they do a small wine tasting. Now, this isn't generally how I pick my wine out, but I figured what the heck. So, when I was offered a taste of a wine I hadn't tried before I thought it would work good for my wine review of the week. I just took a small sip because I had already decided to buy a bottle, and I wanted to wait until I got home to determine what I really thought.

When I arrived back home, I went right to work and poured a glass. As one would expect, a nice strong looking, dark red color. I then swirled it around a bit, and took a sniff. A very nice smelling wine, but a touch on the light side. Nothing too much to complain about though. So, at this point, I didn't recall much of the taste from the wine store, since it was such a small amount, but I was ready for another try. Now, I will be the first to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the next saying, but it definitely applies with this wine. The taste was was "fruit forward", which to me means the fruity taste hit me right away, and then actually had good length. It definitely didn't dry up right away. A bit of blackberries if someone demanded to know what fruit I tasted (again determining different tastes in a wine is not my strong suit). It had a touch of a bite, but I would say was fairly smooth overall. My general impression is that for $10, and I would suspect a couple dollars cheaper at a larger wine store, this was a very nice Cab. It wasn't a big bold tasting wine, but definitely held its own. Would definitely give it another try.

Rating: 3.25 Corks (Solid choice for the price)

No comments: