Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Anakena - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $7.99
Region: Chile
Year: 2008
Another review from my backlog. It just so happens that this one however, occurred purely by chance. Earlier this year I review a bottle of the Anakena Cabernet, that I enjoyed very much (http://winereviewsyoucanunderstand.blogspot.com/2009/01/anakena-cabernetsauvignon.html) and one weekend I decided to give it another try knowing that it wouldn't be one I review. Well, when I got it home and took a closer look, it was a differnet year (2007 as opposed to 2006). So, as it so happens, this will be the first time I review the same wine, but a different year.
Not quite sure what I had this bottle of wine with because for some reason I forgot to write it down. However, history tends to point towards some take out pizza or Italian food. That probably isn't too much of a stretch. Anyway, I do have some pretty thorough notes, and I do remember the wine quite well given it was one I was looking forward to trying again. When I poured the first glass, I was cheating by looking at the notes from my review of the '06. This one did not strike me as the deep dark red that the '06 had, so I would say it was a touch lighter. No big deal so far. The smell however, was still very pleasant, and had all of the strength of what you would expect from a Cab. So, being that we weren't that far off from the previous year yet, the real test came next. I swirled the glass again, and took a sip. I noticed right away that it just didn't have the qualities I was expecting given my earlier review. One of the things I loved about the previous year, was how smooth it was for the price. Maybe there is a reason it was 20% less expensive ($7.99 vs. $9.99), and I will tell you, I would gladly pay the $2 for the difference between these two wines. This '07 simply was not as smooth as the '06, so we'll have to hope for good things from the '08.
Rating: 3.0 Corks (Grab the Anakena '06 if you can find it)

No comments: