Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Razor's Edge - Shriaz

Price: $12.99
Region: South Astralia
Year: 2006

Back to a little bit more of a normal routine. A slightly different routine now that I have started a new job, but a routine nonetheless. It just so happens that my commute home of Friday brings me past one of my least favorite wine stores (mostly because of price), but it would be enough out of my way to go somewhere else, that it is now where I stop more often then not on my way home from work. I knew this particular Friday nigh was not going to be a take-out night, but instead some type of either pasta or ravioli. So, for a moment I thought Italian, but quickly decided I was in the mood to try another Shiraz. Not uncommon...

It didn't take me too long to come across something I hadn't seen before, but that definitely caught my eye. The reason Razor's Edge caught my eye is because it is the name of one of my favorite AC/DC albums that came out in the early '90s. Anyway, besides the fact they are both from Australia, I was pretty sure there was no other connection, but a good enough reason to give it a try anyway. Knowing that it is quite easy to find a really good Australian Shiraz for $10 or less, I wasn't real keen on paying $13, but knowing I was probably paying a couple of dollars more because of the store I was in, it seemed about right.

So, when I arrived home, and got settled, I grabbed some dinner, and sat down with a glass of Razor's Edge. I know I sound quite like a broken record when it come to Australian Shiraz, but the deep dark red color was very impressive. Probably one of the reasons I like this variety so much. When I swirled the glass a bit, and took a sniff, I was a bit nonplussed because it was kind of tart, for lack of a better, word, but very strong. It was almost a bit too much, but as always, it was going to come down to taste. So, when I finally took a sip, I found that the taste wasn't as nearly as overpowering as the smell, which is probably a good thing. It was however not quite as smooth as I was expecting, and bit short on the finish. I would say all in all it wasn't bad, but for $13, and the fact that I have come across many Australian Shiraz wines for at least a coupel of dollars cheaper, I think I will pass on this one.

Rating: 3.25 Corks (Definitely better Australian Shiraz out there)

No comments: