Thursday, October 27, 2011

Root:1 - Carmenere

Price: $10.99
Region: Chile
Year: 2009

Ok, so the new improved design of my blog lasted a week. Maybe I'll just change it up more often, but I'll go with this one for now. Tonight is a live review. My wife had opened a bottle of wine for dinner tonight, so I just figured I'd sit down and write about it. This is an interesting one for sure in that it isn't your run of the mill grape. This wine is primarily Carmenere and its from Chile. I actually think this grape was blended with the Cabernet Franc I had last week, but I'd have to go look at the bottle to be 100% sure. Anyway, I really wasn't sure what to expect, so here goes.

This wine had a dark red color to it that faded a bit as it got out to the edges. It was definitely a little clearer as it worked its way out. As I sit here and give the wine a swirl and a long sniff, I sense a bit of an earthy wine with a little bit of flowers mixed in. If I had to compare it to a mainstream grape, I would say it tends to have the aroma more like a Merlot. I really have no idea if this grape leans more towards that or something a bit more bold, but that is what first comes to mind. As I take a sip, I still get the earthy impression, with just a touch of tartness. What pops into my mind is that it is a bit thin, and lacks that smooth flavor and chewy tannins, but it is pleasant just the same. It is a good change of pace, but not something I would go back to very often.

Rating: 3.0 corks (Not a standout!)

No comments: