Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ten Lakes - Merlot

Price: $14.99
Region: Sonoma Valley, CA
Year: 2008

I knew I was going to try and put aside some time to write a new review tonight, but this was definitely not the wine I had intended to review. I was planning on reviewing a bottle of Pinot Noir that we had the weekend before Halloween, but when I got home from work today, my wife had opened this bottle of Ten Lakes Merlot for dinner, so as I sit here and have another glass, it seemed a bit silly not to review this wine. This is the one problem with having a few bottles tucked away in the basement, is that a bottle usually gets opened on Thursday night, along with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I guess now that I say that, it isn't really a problem at all.

As I sit here and take a look at this wine, it is a bit darker red then some of the more middle of the road Merlots I am used to buying. It really is does have a deep, dark red color one would usually attribute to a California Cab or an Argentinian Malbec. To go along with that color, it also has a really great aroma. This is where it part ways from some of the bolder reds, but it enjoyable all the same. I' having a little trouble placing the smell, but I would say it is a good mix between fruity and floral. So, finally as I take another sip, the one word that comes to mind is consistent. It isn't a wine that jumps out at you, but I can taste the suttle hint of blackberries, without the heavy Cab tannins. This isn't a wine I would order with a juicy Fillet Mignon, but with a bit lighter fare, it would go quite nice. Not a whole lot to complain about with this wine, so if you're in the mood for a different Merlot then the standard choices, give it a try.

Rating: 3.75 corks (Definitely worth trying!)

No comments: