Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sivas Somoma - Zinfandel

Price: $16
Region: I'm guessing Sonoma
Year: 2008

Another wine from our recent neighborhood wine tasting. again, I didn't pay full price, but this one is reasonable at around $16 retail. We opened this bottle last Saturday night as we cooked some spicy sausage on the grill. I usually try to save my Zinfandels for something with a little kick to it, so this seemed like a good pairing. I would say that I was cheating with this one because I had tasted it before, but in reality, it was far down on the list of wines during the tasting, so at that point they were all kind of blending together. That being said, I did recollect this was one of my favorites of the night. It was time to see just how good my memory was of that night.

There was no mistaking as I poured a glass that this was a very deep dark wine. It even had the appearance of pouring a little slow into the glass (like molasses). The aroma of this wine was really wonderful. I smelled a bucket of berries with a hint of sweetness which I really wasn't expecting for a Zinfandel. At this point, I was thinking I was right on with my recollection of the small taste I had of this wine a week or so back. To my surprise, it was actually even better than I remembered, and most likely due to not having tasted 4 wines in advance. It was really smooth with awesome balance. From beginning to end it was consistent, and silky smooth. The overwhelming flavor that came to mind for me was blackberries, and I just couldn't get enough. Interestingly, my wife is not a big Zinfandel fan, but she loved this wine as well. It didn't have that over the top in your face flavor, and was enjoyable all around. Luckily, we also have a bottle of Sivas Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon. I hope this is right up the same alley, because if so, I'll definitely go back for more..

Rating: 4.25 corks (Best one in a while)

No comments: