Friday, November 14, 2008

Festival 34 - Cabernet Sauvignon


Price: $11.99
Region: California
Year: 2006

OK, now on the my new wine of the week. As is the case on most Friday's, one of my two main wine stores had a wine tasting tonight. Since I was in a bit of a hurry, I decided to give a sneak peak of this wine and see if it provided any interest. So, I got my little plastic cup of wine, and gave it a taste. At first taste it seemed acceptable, so when he said it is normally $14.99, but was on sale tonight for $11.99, I said why not. Plus it made for my quickest trip to the wine store in recent memory.

When I got home and sat down to dinner, I poured myself a glass for real. The color was a little on the light side for a Cabernet, but nothing overly concerning. I gave it a swirl and then gave it a sniff. Nothing too surprising here. A very pleasant smell, with some floral hints. So far, nothing was sticking out and making me take notice. So, when I took my first sip, I wasn't overly surprised to find it good, but not great. There was a little bit of a tart taste, but nothing too overt, but it was rather smooth. It didn't have a long finish, but didn't disappear right away either. My general impressions was that it was a solid choice, but even at the discounted price of $11.99, I've tasted better. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to avoid either.

Rating: 2.75 Corks (Take it or leave it)

No comments: