Friday, July 4, 2008

Getting Started... My weekly wine reviews

Like many people I am sure, I very much enjoy a bottle of wine. Sometimes with my wife or family, other times with friends, and every so often by myself to just relax, and enjoy. Over the years, I have purchased many magazines, read many newspaper reviews, and even purchased daily wine calendars, in an attempt to feel knowledgeable on the subject. I often went online to read one the many websites that provide in depth reviews. The problem was, I rarely related to the reasons they decided to recommend a particular wine. it seems there are so many things to take into consideration when reviewing a wine; color, smell, viscosity, food pairing, etc. It started to become a difficult task to pick out a bottle of wine. Most of the reviews talk about things I just don't seem to experience when I drink a good glass of wine. What I do know when I drink a glass of wine, is that it is either enjoyable, or it is not. Usually this come down to taste, but I will admit there are other determining factors as well. What I have found though, is that a complex wine review, doesn't always make it easier to head out to the wine store and pick out a bottle for the evening.

All of this led me to a very simple idea... Pick out a relatively inexpensive bottle of wine every weekend, that I then review in simple terms, that can easily be understood. I will be the first to admit, I have read hundreds of wine reviews, and I can rarely taste or smell what the experts indicate they taste or smell. To be honest, sometimes I'm not sure I would want to. One of my all time favorites what the "hint" of pencil shavings in a particular high end wine. Now, I don't know about you, but when I go search out a new bottle of wine, pencil shavings is not on the top of my list of tastes to uncover. I promise to keep it simple, and to the point, and provide not the view of the expert, because I am not one, but of the everyday person looking for something new to try. My goal will be to review wines under $20, because simply enough, that is what I usually buy. When special occasions arise, a more expensive bottle may be in order. While one might wonder why anyone would care what I think about wine, I don't find it any different then an expert providing his or her opinion on the topic. I am sure some will agree, and other disagree, but that is what opinions are all about. I look forward to this endeavor and providing Wine Reviews You Can Understand... Milt

No comments: