Monday, July 14, 2008

Terra-Barossa - Shiraz

Price: $12.99
Region: Australia
Year: 2006

I had a couple of wines to choose from this weekend, but I decided to go with a wine I had at my wife's parents house for dinner. This is usually the type of wine I would have tried before, because I generally like Australian Shiraz, and the price is about the range I find myself buying, but interestingly enough, I had never had this selection. It was paired with a Mexican salad as the main course, so something that was a little spicy. The general rule of thumb seems to be that a Shiraz, or a Zinfandel stands up well to spicy food. So, here is what I thought...

As with most Australian Shiraz, the color was deep red. I swirled it around a bit to release the aroma, and it was as I expected. It just smelled like a Shiraz, which is to say in my opinion a little spicy, for lack of a better adjective. Now, in the buying guide of my local wine store, it indicates this wine scored well with Wine Enthusiast, so my expectations were automatically a little high. I gave it a taste, and my first impression was that it was good, but nothing that stood out as exceptional. It paired well with the salad, but I have tasted similar Shiraz from Australia at a little cheaper price ($8 - $10). overall it was a good wine, but nothing spectacular. Based on the price, the high expert review, and my experience, I would say it ranks as a solid 3 corks..

Rating: 3 Corks (Give it a try)
______________________________________________________________

No comments: