Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chateau De Segries - Cotes Du Rhone

Price: $10.99
Region: France
Year: 2006

I only grabbed one bottle of wine this weekend, and it wasn't one of my usual bottles, so I'll have to finish my top 5 default wines next week. This week, I decided to grab something from France. I think the reason I tend to shy away from other regions besides California and Australia is because it isn't always as easy to tell what exactly I am buying. I know that is clearly a sign of my inexperience with French and Italian wines, but it just seems simpler to call a wine by the grape used to make it.

Anyway, I tend to associate Cotes Du Rhone with the Syrah or Grenache grape, which I generally enjoy, so it didn't seem like a very big gamble. My first impression after pouring a glass was that this particular wine was a little lighter in color then I expected. The smell however, was very strong, and very pleasant. I have trouble describing what smell I usually get from a wine, but this wine gave me the sense of a floral undertone. Definitely very nice. I'm still not 100% what grape this wine is made of primarily, but when I took a taste, it was very enjoyable, but slightly acidic. It had very good length, and had a fairly smooth finish. I actually enjoyed teh 2nd galss a tocuh mroe then the first, but overall it is a wine worth giving a try. Of the two, I definitely prefer the Louis Bernard, but this is not one to dismiss outright..
Rating: 3.25 Corks (Something different)

No comments: