Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sebastiani - Cabernet Sauvignon

Price: $12.99
Region: California
Year: 2005

So, this week's normal entry was another Cabernet I had not tried yet. Interestingly enough, or at least interesting to me, is that I work for a company that used to run the IT systems for this particular winery a few years back. I can't say that I have ever searched out their wines because of it, but it was just another reason to give it a try. Now, usually when I specifically look for a Cabernet, ti is because there is red meat on the menu. That wasn't the case here as I knew dinner this night was a chicken and sweet potato stew. It just happened to be a cold winter day (it seems winter is a little colder this year already), and I just love a good bold wine on a cold day with a fire going.

Anyway, the first impression definitely didn't disappoint. This was a very deep, dark wine, almost purple in color. It was a good first sign. Next, when I gave the wine a swirl, and a smell, again, I was impressed. It had a nice strong aroma, a little earthy, but very pleasant. That why, when I first poured a glass, and gave it a taste, I was hoping for so much more. Not to say that it was bad at all, but I was really expecting a home run. The initial taste was slightly acidic, but generally decent. The wine had very good length, and the taste stuck around for a bit. I think my disappointment was mostly that the wine just wasn't as smooth, and as bold as I anticipated based on the wonderful color and smell. I think I will give it another try someday, maybe with a beef stew instead of chicken.

Rating: 3 Corks (A little better then average)

No comments: