Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Courtney Benham - Cabernet Franc

Price: $18.99
Region: California (Sonoma)
Year: 2006

I meant to write this review last weekend, but with a bunch of vacation days thrown into the mix, I'm just a little off my routine. Anyway, this wine review is going to be a slight departure from the norm since this was one we enjoyed during our annual Christmas lunch with my in-laws. I usually buy something in the $40 - $50 range for Christmas lunch, but had just been wanting to try this wine for a while, so decided to go a little lower on the scale. At just under $20, this is more then I spend on a weekly wine, but still not all that expensive. We had this particular wine with a wonderful cheese and fruit tray. the cheeses consisted of Huntsman (cheddar & blue cheese), a dill Havarti, and Brie.

I will be the first to admit I do not know how a Cabernet Franc is different from the more common Sauvignon, but I did have a bottle once when I was in Napa, and thought it was very good. This is partially the reason I've been wanting to try this particular wine. I have passed by it a coupel of times in my local wine store, but just never picked it up. Anyway, when I first pured a glass, it definitely looked like a deep dark red Sauvignon. No difference here (to my eye anyway). When I took a sniff, I was surprised at how strong the aroma was. Not bad by any means, but strong nonetheless. Now, the important part. When I took my first sip, I was hit with a very upfront taste that also hung around for a bit. There was definitely a noticeable difference between what I would expect out of a Cabernet Sauvignon, but it was very pleasant, and I would say unique. It was good to try something different for a change, and generally was fairly impressed with this wine. My only hesitation is that at almost $20, there are much more economical choices that are at least on par with this wine. That being said, if you just want to try something different, you won't be disappointed.

Today will be another holiday wine choice, as not only it is New Year's Eve, but also my 37th birthday! Here is wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!

Rating: 3.25 Corks (Slightly pricey, but different)

No comments: