Saturday, December 20, 2008

Per Me Sola - Sangoivese

Price: $6.99
Region: Toscana
Year: 2007

Well, as you'll notice, this is the first wine I've reviewed so far where I just couldn't find a picture online. It usually just isn't that difficult, but after 15 minutes or so, I gave up. Here is the new default photo in case that ever happens again. Anyway, this was a record fast trip to the wine store. I knew we were ordering some of our favorite pizza (called Mediterranean Salad), and I needed a wine to go along. Just seemed like a good time to head down the Italian wine isle. As I did, I got to the section where the Sangiovese wine was located, and came across a big yellow sign that simply said "PIZZA". I'm never one to ignore an obvious sign. My only hesitation is that $6.99 is getting close to the range where I tend to stay away from, but I gave it a try anyway.

The wine definitely had a nice deep color to it. I didn't get the impression it was going to be weak and timid. Additionally, it had a nice aroma as well. Nothing astounding, but pleasant nonetheless. But, as always, it comes down to taste. For some reason, I didn't have a glass with an appetizer this week, just waited to have a glass when I sat down to eat. Sangiovese is not a wine I drink on a regular basis, but have generally enjoyed it when I have. This was was along the same lines as others I have tasted. It had a nice flavor, with good length, but just slightly acidic for my taste. I will say, for $7, it is definitely a good pizaa wine, but are probably others out there that may just just a bit better.

Rating: 2.75 Corks (Not too shabby)

No comments: